Fish Elliot Lake !
There are more than 4,000 lakes surrounding Elliot Lake and dozens of them, some over 300 feet deep, hold the largest stock of lake trout in Ontario. Speckle and rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, northern pike and walleye (pickerel) are also plentiful. In fact, bragging sized smallmouth (5 to 8 pounds) and speckled trout (4 to 8 pounds) are common occurrences.
Ice fishing (aka hardwater fishing) is extremely popular and productive in Elliot Lake, not only in the immediate area, but on hundreds of remote lakes, easily accessible by snowmobile.
Check out a sample of some hardwater lake trout action videos:
Elliot Lake has been featured on many fishing shows and outdoor magazines and has captured the interest of many seasoned anglers. With one visit you are sure to get hooked on the world class fishing opportunities and beautiful pristine surroundings.
Detailed sport fishing and recreation maps are available for a nominal fee at the Welcome Centre, located in the Lester B. Pearson Civic Centre (next to Tim Hortons on hwy 108). We encourage all anglers to promote catch and release, ensuring the sustainability of this precious resource for future generations of anglers.
Overview of Fish in the Elliot Lake Area
- Lake Trout: the Elliot Lake area boasts some of the largest natural lake trout stocks on the planet. Fish in the 5 to 10 pound range are plentiful, with lunkers in the 15 to 30 lb range not uncommon.
- Brook / Speckle Trout: these fish are highly coveted, preferring cold, clear streams and small pristine lakes. It is easy to understand why they are plentiful in Elliot Lake. "Brookies" in the 6 pound range and more are a realistic possibility, caught each season through the ice and throughout the spring to early fall.
- Walleye / Pickerel: A favourite among anglers for many reasons, one being their great taste for a shore lunch, walleye (pickerel) are plentiful around Elliot Lake. Fish in the 3 to 5 pound range are common, but 7 to 12 pounds are not out of the question.
- Northern Pike: Commonly referred to as the "Great Northern", hook a big one and see why they are accorded this status! Fish in the 5 to 15 pound range are quite common, but there some monsters out there waiting to be caught in the trophy status of 40 + inches and 20+ pounds.
- Smallmouth Bass: A real treat, pound for pound there is no better fighting fish than the smallmouth. Many of the same deep lake trout lakes are also teeming with trophy smallies, easily caught off shoals and drop-offs. Fishing on light action rods with top water tackle, smallmouth bass are known for exploding onto surface lures and jangling the nerves of even the hardiest of fishing veterans. Fish in the 5 + pound range are yours for the taking (and hopefully releasing).
- Misc: Rainbow Trout, Splake, Perch, Whitefish and Sturgeon are also all available in the area for those discerning fishermen looking for something a little different.
Getting into the Action
Check out our accommodations section for more information on where to stay when fishing the Elliot Lake area. Countless area lakes can be accessed for the self starter with numerous municipally maintained boat launches or more remote lakes with ATVs and 4x4 access. Many lodges and fly-in fishing camps can offer boat rentals and advice on getting into some trophy fish.
Gear, tackle and tips from local hardcore anglers and outdoor enthusiasts can be gathered at the Trading Post (848-8401) a well equipped outfitting, bait and tackle store just off of hwy 108 on Oakland Blvd.
Or, if you want to improve your odds of catching fish of a lifetime with a professionally guided trip, Elliot Lake Outfitters can get you into whatever type of trophy fish your angling dreams are made of.
Contact the Elliot Lake and District Chamber of Commerce Welcome Centre for more information on arranging your fishing adventure in Elliot Lake.
Tel: 1-800-661-6192 / (705) 848-7737
Fax: (705) 848-7121
Lester B Pearson Civic Centre (next to Tim Hortons on hwy 108)